Choose Wine Over Working Out

I had a long day. My baby, Everett, just started on baby food. He's like a ravenous bum at a trashcan. I can't give the boy enough milk, rice cereal, or now, apparently, banana baby food.

He woke me up this morning at 6. He doesn't eat until 7:30. So, waking up before 7:30 means I have to bop him around on my hip for an hour and a half, looking like a complete and total buffoon. If I am lucky, like I was today, waking up early meant I could watch episode 999 of Parenthood on Netflix, without Maddox in the room.

So, my day started at 6 and I spent all day with my two rugrats. Granted, my mother and grandmother were with me today, it was still a lot of work.

We decided to have a "picnic" at Waterworks Park in 95 degree weather. I forgot the sunscreen. This meant Maddox had to run around in the water, fully clothed with a hat on. I felt so inadequate. Does that ever happen to you? Like you forget something really important for an event? The good camera at your kid's birthday party? Or your wallet when going to the grocery store? Thank God I am getting better at life in general; but, today, I forgot the sunscreen.

The day was filled to the max with errands and activities and after leaving the house at 11:30 am, we didn't return until nearly 6pm.

Preparing dinner, baths, feeding the grown ups, feeding the babies, brushing teeth, rocking to bed. Oh, wouldn't you look at the time? 8:15. Awesome. Glad I squeezed that workout in. You better be smoking crack if you think I am going to squeeze anything except the last drop of wine out of my glass. After 15 hours wrangling a toddler and an infant, I am not in the mood to drop a squat. I am dehydrated, tired, cranky, and smelly. My hair is greasy and tangled. I want a massage.

So, I call my "wino" sister and she walks me through how to purchase wine. I just know I want the damn thing to be red in color and go down easily. I walk out $60 poorer with three bottles of wine.  I start wondering how I am going to "classify" this on Mint.com later? Is this groceries? Health? Jen's allowance? Medical? Damn it. Should I have bought that wine?

Today, I chose to give my children every lost drop of energy I had. I loved on them all day long until their eyelids couldn't stay open any longer. When the lights went out and the doors were shut, when my mom slipped in bed with my toddler, I got in my car and headed to the store for 15 minutes of me time. I chose wine tonight. As a little reward to myself. As a pat on my back, a job well done. My husband is out of town for four nights, so this wine keeps me company as I channel surf.

And you know what? Every day I care less about hitting a certain weight on the scale or wearing a certain size. I am losing my baby weight slowly and healthily. And, plus, there is nothing attractive about a snippy, skinny girl anyways. So, when completely exhausted, have that glass of wine. You probably burned a ton of calories just living the life of a mom. Drink up girlfriend.

Comments

  1. I love this. This is everyone's life. Thank you for always being if nothing completely honest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do I follow this? I'm not much of a blogger but I enjoy this, greatly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl! So glad you enjoyed it! If you are on your phone, scroll to the bottom of my blog post, just past the green 'Home' button to the button that says 'View Web Version.' Then, on the top right, click on the button that says 'Follow by email.' Or, there is a Follow button, but not sure how that works just yet :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts