Don't Fake Smile At Me Missy

There is nothing more delightful than shopping for clothes after you've had a baby. Said no one ever. 

Listen, people with perfect bodies can put on a garbage bag and look amazing. 

I had hopes of spending no more than the $50 on a cocktail dress. For some people that may be a lot of money, but for others that's cheap. I guess it's relative. Still, I wanted to spend minimally on a dress and still feel good in whatever I was going to wear to this event. I tried on some old stuff of mine, all with "shape wear" to push down my lumpy goodness. Nothing. I shopped in other people's closets. Zilch. I headed to the mall and hunted in clearance. No matter what I tried on, I cringed at the unflattering reflection before me.

I knew what I had to do. Florida peeps- you know how when you go to Publix, grocery shopping is a pleasure. Same thing with Nordstrom.  

I arrived in my workout gear with an infant that wouldn't stop crying. My hair was slicked back (with grease, not product), my legs growing small cactus farms all over, and my eye brows paying tribute to Frida Kahlo. But that little Nordy sales associate smiled at me like I was a celebrity. You know why? Because Nordstrom is freakin amazing!

I told her that I needed a dress that made me feel good about myself and hid my post partum pooch. She brought me 6 or so dresses and they all worked! All I had to do was pick out the one I liked best and fork over more money than I wanted to.

Once I had a day or so to think about how much money I just spent on a dress I would wear once, I went to TJ Maxx armed with style information from an upscale store's sales clerk. I need to look for a certain cut. I found a dress that was $16.99 and it looked just fine.



I had been faced with a similar predicament after having my first son. I had an event to go to and didn't want to spend a dime on a dress I would probably wear only one time. So I searched the clearance rack at Sears (sorry, but don't people just go there for home appliances?), bought the equivalent of a clown costume, and wore it to a wedding that night. When I looked at pictures afterwards, I felt embarrassed for the girl looking back at the camera with an uncomfortable, self conscious, fake smile. 

So, in my personal, humble opinion, in your post partum months, when you are not feeling the best about yourself, do what you have to do (within reason) to feel good in the skin you're in. For me that was first buying a more expensive, well made dress and then pulling a bait and switch move. The important thing is--Feel good about yourself! You are an amazing human because you created life and you are a mama bear!



Comments

  1. Tia kathy MartinezAugust 2, 2015 at 7:40 PM

    Jen...I've always loved your writing and always will. Please continue to find the time to make us ponder, and my favorite LAUGH!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts