When My Toddler Became A Boy

My 68 month old son, Maddox, (ok, he's almost 6) officially became a little boy today. As he hurried over dirty socks and strewn pieces of plastic Easter eggs in my van, I couldn't help but be mildly proud of myself for signing him up for an after school activity. Gymnastics is both at an inconvenient time, 6:30 PM on a Thursday, and expensive. I have to arrange for a family member to be over to watch my 4 month old, Kennedy, and almost 3 year old, Everett, as it's crazy dinner/bedtime shortly after. And just to be clear, this is only week 3 of class, so we haven't really figured this whole thing out. Nonetheless, I am making it happen for Maddox because he's nearly 6 and can appreciate and enjoy the experience.


As I hurry behind him in my uncomfortable denim maternity shorts (no, I'm not pregnant anymore), I can't help but be slightly annoyed with myself for having inappropriately long leg hairs and chipped nail polish on my left big toe. Five seconds later, Maddox closes the door and runs toward me, burying himself into my crotch.
"What's wrong, Maddox?!"
"Mom, there's older girls in there!"
I peer around the corner and see young girls in leotards, kicking their legs, doing back walkovers, and running toward the vault. They were super cute little things, ranging from 5-10 years old.





Look how dang cute these leotards are! Is it too soon to buy one for Kennedy?

I turned around and told Maddox I understood and I instructed him to just walk behind me, look down at his Crocs, and sit next to me when we got in. Maddox appreciated the step by step instructions and followed suit.
I wanted to freeze this moment in time. He's a boy.
Class began, I pulled out my phone, and then thought, No, not now. This child is officially a boy and you need to soak this in.
I turn to the young mom next to me and try to tell her that my son was a boy. She politely smiled at me and kept working.
I couldn't take my eyes of Maddox and giggled like a maniac as he made other "boy" moves. He didn't accept the helping hand of a young girl gymnast as he walked the beam. He looked at the girls out of the corner of his eye when he was sure they weren't looking.
He's a boy.
Oh my gosh, I made a boy. I grew this baby and then lived all these amazing baby moments with him. I watched him become a toddler and waddle around. I laughed as he jumped off the coffee table and played with action figures. But tonight, he blushes.
He's a boy.
So, tonight, I will freak out inside and have to accept that my little toddler is now a boy. It absolutely melts my heart and breaks my heart all at the same time.
I really look forward to doing life with this kid, but I hope I can remember to appreciate all the years leading up the aha moments. Because before you know it, I will be wishing to be inconvenienced by my boy.




Comments

Popular Posts