Five Must-Haves When Bringing Home Baby

We have made it through the first 12 weeks! Although this is my second baby, I am still learning. Here are my recommended must-haves when you bring home your bundle of joy.

1. Velcro swaddle
I personally like things quick and easy, so I went with the velcro swaddles with both kiddos. You can pick them up at Target and they are so easy. With baby #1 (Maddox) I kept him in a bassinet in my room, rocked him until all hours--but let me tell you, my experience with baby #2 (Everett) has been much better because we are on a schedule. He sleeps better, I sleep better; it's a win/win. That's why I highly recommend

2. Moms on Call
This is a book written by pediatric nurses and you can order it on Amazon. A few weeks after bringing Everett home, a friend recommended I take a look at the book. I jumped straight to the feeding and sleeping sections, and I really think this book saved my life.  I put a Post It on the page that gives a sample schedule and I followed it pretty religiously. I am happy to say that Everett has slept through the night for a while now. He goes to bed at 8pm and basically sleeps until 6 am.

3. Playtex Nursing Bottles
This is a bottle recommended by our pediatrician's daughter. I can't tell you how many bottle parts I soaked with baby #1. It truly was hell just trying to get a clean bottle sterilized and then assembled. If you use this bottle, all you wash is the nipple. You just drop in a liner (super sanitary), fill the bottle with water and formula (or breast milk) and then screw on the nipple. The liners are super cheap (100 liners for $7.59 at Target).

4. Infant to Toddler Rocker
Alright, so you wake up to a crying baby, glance at the clock, and realize it's time to get the day rolling. You change his diaper and head to the kitchen to make the bottle and your coffee. Ugh, where do you put the baby?  With a rocker you will always have a comfy place to rest baby so you can be hands free. Unlike a swing, this thing is super portable and you can take it around the house. Plus, it's a great thing to take with you while traveling to the beach with baby in tow.

5. Sound machine
Like Moms on Call recommends, your infant's room should be cool, dark, and boring. That's just so your baby can sleep. We've all heard it before: your room should be associated with sleep. So, unlike Maddox's sleep situation, Everett gets a cool, dark room when it's sleep time. No mobile, stars on the ceiling, or lullaby machine. That just gets baby interested, and interested is not what I want. I want him to sleep. So, it's womb noise at a high volume. And yes, it works.

Please respond with your must have and help out the new mommy community!


Comments

Popular Posts